Monday, April 30, 2012

Don't throw me out with the bath water please!

My kids are always looking at me sideways whenever I spout an "old saying"...they just don't get-it.  Yet, as I was flipping blueberry oat pancakes this morning, I prayed to God, "Don't throw me out with the bathwater please."  Perhaps you are looking at me sideways now?

The Holy Spirit put a song on my lips this morning as I awoke, "Create in a me a Clean Heart....."  The remainder of a prayer that I feebly offered up in the dark of the night, just hours before.  I had endured the conviction that I had been harboring anger and resentment for along time and had let it infiltrate my home.  A heaviness pressed down on me and I was immobile.

My husband and eldest son set up a backyard adventure yesterday afternoon and entertained all who were willing, a chance to repel down and out of the glorious 75 foot maple tree in our front yard.  Ropes and clips and harnesses and helmets donned the willing adventurer.  Smiles and excitement abounded.  Yet, as I watched I could not even bring myself to utter a supportive or encouraging word.  It was as if darkness itself had sealed my lips shut and a veil of doom had encased my being.  A mono-toned, "that's cool", with a forced smile, was the only utterance I could muster.

With hopelessness I thought,  "How does one climb out of this oppression?"

Conversation.  Confession.

"Oh Lord, how did I get here?"   "Please forgive me."

Throwing off the blankets, and slipping on my slippers, I sang.  I pleaded with God.
Make my heart new; cuz man, mine is pretty old and dirty.
Re-new a right standing before you, oh Lord;  I am definitely side-tracked and I need you to turn the tracks.
Don't turn from me and "throw me out with the bathwater" please;  Even though I know I am unclean before you, I know that you love me and that I am of value because you created me -- so please separate me from the dirty water and make me clean: expounding on the original old saying, "don't throw the baby out with the bath water!"
Give me back the joy of knowing I am saved; Accepted - forgiven - redeemed - promised - and loved.

Yes, Oh God, "Don't throw me out with the bathwater" please.

He is answering me.  My mouth opened and a gentle smile parted my lips and I was able to lovingly greet my children, "Good morning!" as I directed them to the warm blueberry oat pancakes. HOPE came and lifted the oppression.  I am sustained for another day.  Praising my God for his constant and abundant love.

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me from your presence or take  your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me."  Psalm 51:10 - 12


5 comments:

  1. I am so glad God turned your day around when you committed it to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl, I've been there and it's so debilitating when you're going through it. Praise the Lord that He does restore the joy of His salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being so honest. Some prayers are answered faster than others :). I believe God LOVES an honest heart, a repentant heart, a desiring to be more like Christ heart. Thanks for that reminder. It's his kindness that leads us to repentance. You are such a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is always so faithful...and patient...and always ready to restore us to himself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this Sheryl. I love it when God uses songs to speak to us, happens often for me too! Joan xxx

    ReplyDelete